My first Teardrop Trailer.
  A Kuffel Creek Cubby..AKA, The Stripper
  Building the frame, Part 1

I ordered components for the frame from Southwest Wheel. They have a site that caters to the home-build crowd.
The package that I got was for a 2000 pound trailer. The kit consists of a slipper-spring set, axle,wheel/tire set, a 50deg coupler and a coupler jack. A wiring kit had lights and a harness,
The frame will be welded with 2x2 thinwall tubing. I got two 24 foot lengths from the local machine shop.

My welder was a gift from a friend. All I needed to do was wire it for my shop!
I broke the fan while working on the welder, so, I had to wait to get a part.           
                         The welder is fixed now (Dec.02, 2003) I've been working the cobbwebs out of the welder and the weldor. I'm used to a mig welder, but the price was right on this stick job!

Well, It's January, 12 2004. I just got the last project, a day bed for my daughter, out of the garage.
I spent a little time cleaning up, and then started welding the frame. The parts were cut weeks ago. I tacked the perimeter of the frame together this evening, after work. I ran out of rod (all that practice?) so I'll pick up some more tommorrow, Then onward!

I picked up this chop saw at Home Depot. I couldn't resist, it was on sale 1/2 off!
This makes accurate cuts a breeze.
If I didn't find the saw on sale, the plan was to use a circular saw with a cut off wheel.


I made right angle jigs, shown in the Kuffel Creek plans. I bought the CD rom which has the plans in a pdf form. I printed the drawings to bring to the shop. If they get ruined, I can print up another!


Two evening's work, about 3 hours to this stage. The perimeter is tacked together, the cross members are fitted, ready to weld.


The corners are mitered. The welds are not too pretty, but they are getting better.


I cut gussets from scrap tubing. I will weld them into the 4 outer corners. This may be overkill, but, I tend to over build. It's a good thing that the axle is rated for 2000 pounds!


The best weld of the second welding day. Not professional, but plenty strong.
It will look great ..under paint!


A long shot of the shop area, and the last two winter's projects on the wall.


The frame is welded. I did the gussets in the front corners, and on the second cross brace from the rear, to allow space for the scissor leveling jacks (car jacks from the salvage yard)


I marked the center line of the frame, then used a string to line up the tongue assembly. I had the coupler already welded on the tongue.


A shot of my free Sears welder.


To get the spring centers right, I tacked the hardware in place while lined up in the proper place on the frame.


I bolted the axle to the springs to get the spring carrier in the right place, then welded the bracket to the frame. I placed the slipper brackets on the spring and welded them to the frame.


I had some 1x2 channel that I cut to support the leveling jacks.


My "trailer leveling jacks", actually from 2, 1995 Neons at the auto recyclers...$20 for the pair, still in storage bags when I got them!


The jacks in place. I welded them onto the supports made earlier. I figure that if they wear out, I can grind them off.


The levelers in the traveling position. 


While retracted, they protrude below the frame about 2-1/2"

Text and Images Copyright 2004-2007, Steve Frederick, All rights reserved.
No content from this site may be used for commercial purposes without permission.
Last update, Dec 27, 2007

Back Home Next