The Rondack Lodge
Phyll's Custom Fenders!

Design Copyright 2007, Steve Frederick



Frame Exterior Walls, Body Floor Assembly Phyll's Fenders Cabin Interior Galley Electrical/Plumbing Finishing/Details Voyages

My wife really liked the retro-style fenders that we had on the 'Diner. In fact, that's all I use!. The body is already 80" wide, and overhangs the wheels, so regular fenders won't work.
My Idea is to copy the profile of the "Diner's fenders and make a set of  Demi-Fenders, at about 2-1/2" wide!
The quarter-width fenders will go around the wheel openings.
I'm going to carve the fenders from foam. Once the shape is right I will cover them in 'glass. Since I only need this one set, I'll use this lay-up as the real fender. If I wanted to make many, I would make a mold from the foam "plugs".


Here's a shot of Phyll's favorite fenders! I made a pattern from a scale drawing as a starting point.


I made a pattern from a left-over section of the profile pattern.


I fastened the pattern to a piece of 2" foam board.  Using the router and a guide bushing, I cut out the fender blanks. I'll carve the fenders from this foam.


Here's the block and the pattern it was cut with. I'll make another!      


Here's the second one! I laid it on the pattern to see how it is going to look.


Using the same pattern. I cut backers for the foam. These will get glued to the foam and will serve as a guide to carve to, and as a mounting point when I fasten them to the body.


All of the parts are ready for the glue-up! I'll use Gorilla glue for this, as it sands easily, and works well with foam.




After gluing up the blocks, I sanded them to shape. I kept them back to back to ensure that they were as close to identical as I could get by hand!


Here's a profile shot of the curb side fender. There are a few chips in the foam. I'll deal with that in the next step!


I filled the defects with a schmutz of epoxy and wood flour. I also sealed the foam with a coat of epoxy.


Here, I have the fenders on some threaded rod supports. I have two layers of 4-oz 'glass so-far. I'll sand this fair, then apply more layers of 'glass.


Using the opening in the side of the trailer as a pattern, I made inner supports for the wheel well liner.


Looking through the whell opening in the wall. You can see where I will fasten the liner.


I got some wacky wood from Boulter Plywood. It curves really well, so, it's perfect for the wheel wells.


I just nailed it in place with PL construction adhesive, and staples.
Next, I'll seal the area up with fiberglass and epoxy, then paint it.



In order to get the 'glass to conform to a sharp curve, I used plastic wrap! Just smooth it over the wet lay-up, and it works like a mold!


Another shot of my plastic wrap mold!  This is my last lay-up on the fenders. Next I'll build up a few coats of epoxy and then start sanding!


I used some free glass that I got on an automation job at a fiberglass factory. It's 20-oz stuff, made for boats!


Once I had the wheel wells sealed up in 'glass and epoxy, I prepped them for a covering in bed liner.



I got a rattle can of bed liner from the local auto parts store.


I think it looks pretty cool! I didn't fill the weave..adding to the "cool factor".



Contents and images, Copyright, 2002-2007, Steve Frederick
No image or text may be reproduced for any commercial use without permission.
Updated July 1, 2007
This design is Copyright, 2007, Steve Frederick


Back
Home Next



  1