My first Cedar Stip Kayak.
  A Guillemot, Designed by Nick Schade
  Stripping the hull


Introduction Building the Hull Building the Deck/Glassing Cockpit/Deck Joining/Launching


I ripped some strips to 1/2 inch so that I could get around the sharper curves at the chine. Strapping tape has proven to be a really good  "clamp". I re-use the strips of tape 'til the adhesive is no longer good. Note the waxed paper under the 1/4 inch ply clamps to prevent gluing the clamp to the strips in places where I got crazy with the glue.



I found this "glue bottle" at the local hair supply store. It is a hair color applicator, The tip is small and adjustable. The applicator usually places a nice bead of glue into the cove. I use push pins as caps, so I stick some here and there along the strongback so that I don't have to hunt for a cap. ( I tend to lose things!)

Here is progress so far. Six strips each side.12 hours stripping.




Work proceeds slowly as I learn the tricks to stripping the hull. Sometimes, I have to get creative with the clamps to keep strips where I want them!

One more strip, then, I will fit the keel.


Almost ready to fit the keel. I need to get one more strip in so that the two keel strips will center.


I made a lot of kindling wood for my wife, (she likes a wood fire), to get to this point. My hand planing skills are very rusty!  I cut the center and bottom strips as discribed in Nick's book. It took a while to catch on, but I think the results will be worth it!

Bow and stern joints at center/keel.


While the keel strips were drying, I fit the cheater strips as a warm-up for the ends of the bottom strips.


After fitting the two center strips at the keel, I started filling the resulting halfmoon areas. Each end of the strip is planed to a wedge shape with a bead to fit the intersection with the previous strip. I cut off the beads on the keel strips and planed the edges to a rolling bevel. The halfmoons were filled "cove to cove'".


As the gap narrows, I need to use different "clamps", these are scraps from fitting the strips. Click on the image to see the registration marks in pencil. Once I learned how to fit the ends with these marks, the fitting improved a lot!! See Nicks Book for a detailed description of the technique.

Getting down to the last three strips to close up the hull. I ripped the cove of the remaining strips.
I had a hard time getting the strips in place, so, I scarfed the  2nd to last strip. The fit was better with no broken strip!!


Here's a close up of the "football" area of the hull.
I fit the final strip by placing a strip of masking tape over the gap, then rubbing the tape with a pencil to produce an outline of the gap.
I placed the tape on the strip, then planed/ sanded to fit.


I planed the bow and stern to give me a 3/4 inch wide surface to glue a stem. 4 layers of 1/8 thick ash were glued in place.
I used mechanic's wire as a clamp tied off to the base of the strongback to hold the ends.


After a couple hours with the block plane, the outer stems are ready to sand and fair into the hull shape.

I had a few good sized gaps from fitting the football section. I used a palm viening gouge to cut a square edge in the defective area.
I cut a piece to fit the gouge area and glued it in place. I made a fairing board to sand the hull.


The hull has been planed, large gaps filled, and glue scraped off. Sanding the surface to 100 grit will come next.


Text and Images Copyright 2004-2008, Steve Frederick, All rights reserved.
No content from this site may be used for commercial purposes without permission.
Page created Mar 30, 2005,  Last update, Jan 01, 2008

Back Home Next